Familias home page
Note: A new, substantially extended version, Familias 3.0, is freely available.
The Familias program downloaded below runs under Windows. Researchers may instead want to download an R package, which can run under most operating systems, and which implements the core functions of Familias. See OpenFamilias.
Download the latest version: 2.0
Download version 1.81
Installation instructionsUnder recent versions of Windows, installation should be self-explanatory and problem free. It is however a good idea to close all other applications before starting the installation. To install, download the zip file above, extract the three files Familias.CAB, setup.exe and SETUP.LST, and doubleclick on setup.exe. The installed program should respond with "This is familias, version 2.0" when you select Help->About. If you do not get this reply, try to remove any previous versions of Familias before reinstalling it. In addition to removing the program, it may be necessary to manually locate and remove the file V10familias.dll prior to reinstallation on computers with older versions of Windows.
Differences between version 1.81 and 2.0
- A bug that could appear if a user edited an allele system and went directly on to probability calculations has been fixed.
- A bug which made it possible to give two allele systems identical names has been fixed.
- The "Help" menu has been fixed, with choices both for the Tutorial in pdf format, and for connection to this homepage.
- A new "casenotes" window has been added, where users can store their own notes together with the case data. The casenotes are also included in the report.
- A possibility to produce results on a CSV (comma separated values) format is included. Total likelihood ratios, and ratios for individual systems, are output in a format easily readable by for example Excel or OpenOffice Calc.
- Options for how to compute probabilities are now automatically set at default values, but can still be changed via an options button.
- The layout of the pedigree form has been changed, so that it should be clearer how to get the type of output one wants.
- When asked whether one wants to save the data, one is given the opportunity to either cancel the operation, or to save the data under a different file name.
- Before probability calculations, one is not repeatedly reminded to save the data.
- After probability calculations, pedigrees are no longer automatically sorted by probability. However, they can now be sorted using a "Sort" button.
- After probability calculations, the default display is now of likelihood ratios, scaled against the pedigree listed first.
- Several of the forms have been made larger, so that all digits and letters are visible in the displayed information.
- In addition to reading allele frequencies from a special format, frequencies may now also be output on this format.
- The reading of case data from a special format has been improved, and in addition, data may now also be output on this format.